Merhba

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

What's in a Name?

For those of you who haven’t yet sent us a care package (which should include a six-pack of Dr. Pepper, bottled Starbucks Frapuccino’s, and bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos) you may not be familiar with the proper way to address your postage. One of the cool and interesting things about walking the streets of Malta is that the houses don’t usually have street numbers… they have names!

A lot of the houses have names that are creative and sweet. Our pastor, for example, named his beautiful house Christine, after his beautiful wife. Another house we saw on our way to the beach was given the pleasant name Sea Breeze. And then the majority of houses are named after favorite saints like St. Catherine, St. Anthony, etc. But then there’s those crazy folk who try to get a little too creative, if you know what I mean. So Jessica and I kept track of our 5 favorite house names. Here they are:

5. Miami Flats – Hmm. Our flight was pretty long. It took us half-way around the world. I could’ve sworn we weren’t in Miami anymore. Maybe that’s where Don Johnson disappeared to…

4. Antmar &…

3. Josmel – These are just two examples of a sad, recurring pattern in house names. The idea is to combine the names of the couple living within. So if Jessica and I were to buy a house, we would call it Benjes. I know… blech! These houses are named after Anthony and Maria, and Joseph and Melissa, who apparently just don’t get it.

2. Blaze of Glory – I laughed out loud too. Don’t these people realize that they’re going down?

1. Daddy – I don’t think we need to explain. That’s just weird.

We have invented several games to play as we drive around, inspired by these house names. For instance, we come up with names that are subtly anti-British, like Lexington and Concord, or Plymouth Rock. We’ve also laughed at what our friends and families would have to name their houses, like Gerjan, Davnic, Rusreb, and Skiptreas. Our most favorite game is obscure house names. Our top two choices were Count Dooku and Lafawnduh. Waddya think? In fact, we’re doing our first reader poll: if you could name your house something funny or creative, what would it be? Just leave a comment below.

5 Comments:

  • I would name my house "Somewhere Near"

    I asked my boyfriend Dave, and he said he would name his house after a feeling, "how my house makes me feel." Suddenly he declares the name to be "Green Thursday"

    Apparently this is a feeling...must investigate further...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 AM  

  • I think I'd go with "Su Casa." Imagine the possibilities...

    By Blogger Missy, at 7:02 AM  

  • Welcome to my Broccoli flavored lampshade.

    Won't you please come in?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 AM  

  • To go with the mixing of names thing, Mom and I thought of JonEva for them of course. Although I think they've kinda claimed "Kickback haven" as their own. visitors to Chris and my house have named it "the happy house" because of all its bright colors.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

  • Ben and Jessica... I can't stress this enough. YOU GUYS ARE HILARIOUS. I miss you so much. You guys totally rock my socks, and the posts just keep getting better. My house, of COURSE, would have to be named The Beetle's Concert.

    "Hey... who's going to The Beetle's Concert after church?"
    "I didn't really like Tom's friend he was hanging out with at The Beetle's Concert."
    "WOW, you'll never guess who I saw at The Beetle's Concert!"
    "...did you smell what I smelled in the bathroom at The Beetle's Concert?"
    "I left my grandmother at The Beetles Concert so she could spend the night."

    They just keep going. Email me a full address please so I can send a care package. TTFN (ta ta for now) (wait... I guess I should have just wrote 'ta ta for now' since I had to explain it anyway)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home